Ham Biscuits with Mustard Butter – #southerncomfort
1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
2 cups buttermilk
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup shortening
2 pounds thinly sliced cooked ham
1 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons minced sweet onion
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
1. Stir together all ingredients until blended.
1. Combine yeast and 1/2 cup warm water in a 4-cup liquid measuring cup, and let mixture stand 5 minutes. Stir in buttermilk.
2. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk mixture, stirring with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
3. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead 4 to 5 times.
4. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2-inch round cutter, and place on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour.
5. Bake at 425° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Split each biscuit, and spread evenly with Mustard Butter. Stuff biscuits with ham.