AUGUST IS CELEBRATE FLORIDA MONTH AND WE'RE STARTING WITH A KEY LIME PIE MARTINI on Mid-Week Mixers
Naomi Blackburn of the Pub & Grub forum has come up with another winner, so when the summer heat has you wilting, chill and kick back with a Key Lime Pie Martini and start living Island Style. For more of Naomi's fabulous recipes, follow her at http://thepubandgrubforum.blogspot.com
OK…I am a HUGE fan of martinis…love 'em!! I am also a fan of Key Lime Pie. I have come across many a recipe for Key Lime Pie Martinis which are too “vodka(y)” in my humble opinion. Key Lime Pie has a smoothness and tartness to it and a strong vodka taste just doesn't fit into that. So, my tastebuds demanded that I come up with a new recipe and this is what I came up with…
Alright..I lied…a side note…I use fresh squeezed key lime juice in these drinks. Key limes are tiny little limes which are a tad sweeter than run of the mill limes. I have also made this with fresh squeezed lime juice and, although it works, it doesn't have the smoothness of key limes. Any concentrated lime juice is just simply a no-no!! It is way too strong and bitter!!
Whoopsie..lied again…It is imperative to prepare your martini glass and shaker. If I know I will be making drinks in the evening, I will place my martini glasses and shakers in my freezer or deep freeze. You always want your tinis to be ice cold.
- 3 Oz Vanilla Vodka
- 1 Oz. FRESH KEY LIME JUICE~
- 1 Oz Simple Syrup~ You can buy a bottle of simple syrup, but it is easier and WAY cheaper just to make it. All that simple syrup is made of is equal parts of granulated sugar and water which is boiled until the sugar melts and then is left to cool down. Easy Peasy and cheap!!
- 1.5 Oz Sweet/Sour Mix
- 1.5 Oz Heavy Cream~This is basically a liquified whip cream.
To finish it off:
- Crushed Graham Cracker Crumbs~for your rimmer and topping
- Aerosol Whipped Cream~for the topping
1) Do a rimmer of key lime juice and crushed graham cracker crumbs. Return tini glass to freezer.
2) In a chilled shaker that has had ice added, pour all drink ingredients in. Put lid on shaker and shake for 60 seconds to get it nice and blended/chilled.
3) Remove glass from freezer and strain drink into tini glass. Top with whipped cream and more crushed graham crackers.