Naomi says: Several of my Facebook friends are notorious for posting recipes on their profiles. Now, I have to say that NONE of these recipes are low-fat. Not a one!! When my friend Lisa posted this recipe I thought three things. First, was that I had all of the ingredients. Next, this would be a perfect recipe for Bette Lee Crosby’s Midweek Mixers. Finally, this is another really simple Thanksgiving dessert that can be made a day ahead of time. In fact, I would recommend it.
Now, a note…the original recipe simply calls for butter. The people I had taste test my recipes, as well as myself, noted that they could taste the salt in the butter which really gave it an off salty taste periodically. I would call for UNSALTED butter.
My taste testers LOVED this recipe. It had a cookie type of topping versus a pie crust taste. I topped with whipped cream and some pumpkin pie spice.
So, here we go!:
1 15 ounce can pumpkin pie filling
1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
1.5 cups white sugar
1.5 t. cinnamon
1 box YELLOW cake mix
2 sticks (1 cup) UNSALTED butter
1) Prepare a 9×13 pan by spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. Beat until well-blended. Pour into prepare pan.
3) Top mixture with the dry cake mix.
4) Melt the two sticks of butter and pour over dry cake mix.
5) Bake in oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely. As I stated in my note above, refrigerate for one day ahead of serving.